Sunday 26 October 2014

Endings and beginnings

The end of the year is nigh!


Just realised I’ve only got 66 days to complete all my 2014 writing goals. Don’t tell anyone, but I haven’t even started on half of them. I’m also way behind with my reading challenge. (I’m reading The River King by Alice Hoffman at the moment and can’t help lingering over every word.)

But, ever optimistic, I’ve finally decided it’s the right time to do something I wish I’d done many years ago – I’ve signed up for an online course on Illustrating Children’s Books. I’m pretty sure I’ve left it too late to have any chance of becoming a professional illustrator, but it’s a subject that’s always fascinated me and I’m hoping that learning more about the technical side of illustration might be useful for my writing.

My first published stories were for children and I’d love to get back into writing for them. I have some ideas for picturebook stories where a lot of the story is told in pictures so it would be helpful if I could show a publisher some sketches instead of trying to explain it all in words. But even if nothing publishable comes out of it, I’m sure I’ll enjoy doing the course.

Oh, yes, and I’m also going to do NaNoWriMo this year.

Perhaps I’ll prove the old adage, if you want something doing, ask a busy woman!

8 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

Oh I'd love to do that - only problem is I can't draw. Why is it too late? You could say that about being a writer. It sounds a fabulous course and you must blog about how you get on.

liz young said...

I think I admire people who take on NaNoWriMo but it's also possible that I just think they're totally potty! Good luck anyhow.

Linda D said...

Wendy - I don't think I can draw very well either, which is why my attempts at portraits usually turn out more like cartoons. But drawing cartoons is also more fun than struggling with serious art.

Lizy - Yes, NaNoWriMo is a crazy idea but it does get me writing faster and some of those frantic words even make sense!

Patsy said...

If you enjoy the course that would be reason enough to do it - but I agree you might well find it useful too.

Anne Goodwin said...

From some of the sketches and paintings you've posted on your blog, you've clearly got a lot of talent as an illustrator and I'm really pleased for you that you've decided to take this further with your course.
Thanks for the reminder of The River King – Alice Hoffman writes beautifully although I found this book quite disturbing. I've got a review coming next week of another novel set in an elite boarding school where things go badly wrong. Very sad to contemplate but great subject for fiction.

Linda D said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Anne. I chose The River King because I've enjoyed other books by the author but I'm only halfway through it so reserving judgement. .

Friko said...

Well, I hope you aren’t blogging because you are too busy WRITING!

Linda D said...

There just aren't enough hours in the day, Friko!