Thursday 19 March 2015

That was the year that was


The only thing wrong with our holiday in Scotland last year was that it was too short. We wanted to see so many places but only had enough time for brief visits to a handful of them. Even before we packed to go home, we decided to treat ourselves to another holiday there next September.

As we’re barely into spring, I hadn’t thought about looking for accommodation yet, but my husband found a holiday cottage on the Internet that ticked all our boxes and booked it.

So, that’s September sorted.

Thinking about summer reminded me of a summer holiday story I began writing for People’s Friend last year, only to abandon it when I realised I’d left it too late to submit to them. I found the story and dusted it off, but before I set to work to finish it I checked PF’s fiction editor’s blog. Good job I did, because I discovered she was buying summer themed stories back in February and is now looking at autumn/ winter tales.

Plan B – I’m now busy writing a Christmas story. I’ve also made a note in the back of my diary to submit the summer story in January 2016.

How was your 2015?

How far ahead do you plan?

4 comments:

liz young said...

Plan? I just go with the flow, which probably explains my lack of success! Good luck with the story.

Suzanne Furness said...

Nice to have a holiday to look forward too. It is strange writing Christmas stories in the spring but I guess the magazines all plan so far ahead.

Wendy's Writing said...

Whatever season it is, I make sure I'm writing for the next. You just get into the habit of it.

Linda D said...

Thanks for popping in, everyone.

Lizy - That's what I prefer to do, but you have to give editors what they want.

Suzanne - I'm looking forward to my holiday but, if it had been left up to me, I wouldn't have booked it so soon.

Wendy - You sound very organised. I find it difficult to remember what it feels like to trudge through the snow when I'm enjoying the spring sunshine shining through the window!